Spot that Manipulation with these 10 Warning Signs Of Gaslighting in Relationships
Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that involves distorting someone’s reality to gain control and power over them. In a relationship, gaslighting can be subtle yet highly destructive, leading the victim to doubt their perceptions, memories, and even sanity. Recognizing the signs of gaslighting is crucial to maintaining a healthy and respectful partnership. Here are 10 Warning Signs Of Gaslighting in Relationships.
- Invalidating Your Feelings: They dismiss your emotions, making you feel like your reactions are unwarranted or exaggerated.
- Denying Past Events: They insist that incidents you clearly remember never happened, causing confusion and self-doubt.
- Twisting the Truth: They manipulate facts and add false details to make you question your version of events.
- Blaming You: They shift the blame onto you for their hurtful actions, making you feel responsible for their behaviour.
- Withholding Affection: They use love and attention as a reward system, making you question your worthiness of affection.
- Gaslighting Others: They discredit you to friends or family, making it seem like you’re the problem.
- Trivialising Concerns: They downplay your worries, leaving you feeling overly sensitive or irrational.
- Playing the Victim: They portray themselves as the one suffering in the relationship, garnering sympathy from others.
- Silent Treatment: They use silence as a form of punishment, leaving you feeling isolated and anxious.
- Gaslighting Amnesia: They conveniently “forget” hurtful actions and conversations, leaving you feeling unheard and unimportant.
Recognizing these signs can empower you to address the gaslighting behaviour and protect your emotional well-being. Remember that a healthy relationship is built on trust, respect, and open communication. If you suspect gaslighting in your relationship, seek support from friends, family, or a therapist who can help you navigate through these challenges. Trust your instincts, and remember that you deserve to be treated with love and kindness.
Like this post?
Register at One World News to never miss out on videos, celeb interviews, and best reads.