Manohar Parrikar Final Journey: Live Updates
The Chief Minister of Goa Monahar Parrikar passed away on March 17. Ever since the news broke, the entire nation is mourning on his demise. Notably, he was battling with pancreatic cancer for over a year. Manohar Parrikar was an epitome of integrity and dedication. He was known for his honesty. Parrikar’s mortal remains were brought to the BJP head office in Panjim where they were taken to Kala academy. Manohar Parrikar was a lovable politician. To bid adieu to him thousands of people gathered on the street.
He was known as a “Common Man” Chief Minister. He was known for his humility and dedication to state. Here are a few facts about him that you need to know:
1. He was born on December 13, 1955, and he became Sangchalak at the age of 26 in the early ’80s of Mapusa Unit. He graduated from IIT Bombay from metallurgical engineering
2. He returned to Goa in the year 1979 and pursued private business with the wife Medha Parrikar with he had a love marriage.
3. Parrikar worked for many movements of RSS including Ram Janambhoomi between 1985 and 1991. After that, he was deputed to BJP from the period of 1994 -1999 by the Sangh
4. His full-fledged career began in the year 1994 when he became the Member of Legislative Assembly in Goa House.
5. In 2000, days before becoming the Chief Minister of Goa for the first time, his wife passed away due to cancer. He served Goa as the Chief Minister from 2000 – 2002. He was re-elected as the Chief Minister and served his another term from 2002 -2005
6. Notably, the 2016 Surgical Strike against Pakistan was carried out in the tenure of Manohar Parrikar when he was the Defence Minister.
7. He has two sons Utpal and Abhijat Parrikar
Political Turbulence in Goa
After his death, there is political turbulence in the coastal state Goa. Notably, Congress had formally written to form the government. According to Congress, it has the majority to form the government. On the other hand, BJP said, “Their priority is Parrikar’s funeral.” The decision on the Chief Minister of Goa is still pending. According to reports, BJP has called for an urgent meeting. The new CM of Goa will be announced soon.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com