Marching troops, rows of tanks, missiles, stunt riders, aerial displays and formation of horses and camels manoeuvring down on Delhi’s Kartavya Path. Here is what you can witness on Republic Day 2023.
Republic Day 2023 will be celebrated on Thursday, January 26. This year we will celebrate the 74th Republic Day. Among the 3 national holidays of the country, Independence Day, Republic Day and Gandhi Jayanti, the Republic Day of India is a more popular national celebration. This event marks the beginning and start of Republic tradition of one of the largest democracies in the world.
Republic Day celebration is meant to honour the date on which the country’s constituent assembly adopted the constitution. Specially framed for the nation on January 26th, 1950, the newly drafted Constitution of India came to be implemented thus replacing the government of India act 1935. Since then, January 26th has been celebrated as Republic Day.
What is special about This Republic Day?
Like every year, the main attraction would be the Republic day parade.
- This will be the first Republic Day celebration to be hosted at Ceremonial Boulevard after Rajpath Path was redeveloped and renamed Kartavya Path. Also, the number of seats have been reduced to 45000.
- All army equipments on display this year are ‘Made in India’
- The Indian army will replace the British-era 25-pounder guns, traditionally used to give the 21-gun salute to the President of India and the National Flag. The salute this time will be through indigenously made 105 mm IFGS. The ammunition has also been produced indigenously.
- This year the government of India has decided to reserve the front row for special invites, including rickshaw pullers.
Watch: Military contingent of Egyptian Army marches at Kartavya Path, Delhi. The contingent is participating at India's Republic Day parade. pic.twitter.com/GdNsK9qrrF
— Sidhant Sibal (@sidhant) January 23, 2023
The Defence Ministry said, “The Shramyogis who worked to build the Central Vista and new parliament building will be the special guest for the Republic Day parade 2023. Vegetable vendors and milk booth vendors will also be special guests.”
- Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi will be the chief guest of India as both countries celebrate the 75th anniversary of their diplomatic relations. The Egyptian army is also participating as a foreign contingent. The contingent will have 144 personnel.
President Droupadi Murmu accorded a ceremonial welcome to President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi of Egypt at Rashtrapati Bhavan. 🇮🇳🇪🇬 pic.twitter.com/fbOefB9wer
— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) January 25, 2023
- Indigenously produced Prachand, a multi-role light attack helicopter, will be part of the air force fly-past. IAF’s Garud Special Forces will be marching for the first time. Squadron leader PS Jaitawat will be leading the Garud team.
- Republic Day 2023 will witness the debut march of women riders on the BSF Camel Contingent. The 12 women camel riders belong to Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. They will be donning specially designed regal ceremonial uniforms representing India’s many treasured craft forms. They will march from Vijay Chowk to the Red Fort through the traditional route of the Kartavya Path.
Garud Special Forces of the Indian Air Force are participating for the first time in the Republic Day parade. Squadron Leader PS Jaitawat will be leading the Garud team as part of the IAF contingent. Sqn Ldr Sindhu Reddy will be the contingent commander. pic.twitter.com/sagzpJpAPC
— SSBCrack (@SSBCrack) January 21, 2023
The theme of this Republic Day 2023 is devoted to the contribution of the common people.
The flag hoisting event on Republic Day 2023 will occur at 8 am. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Amar Jawan Jyoti. President Droupadi Murmu will unfurl the national flag. The Republic day parade will start at the scheduled time of 10 am. Parade will march from the Rashtrapati Bhawan along the Rajpath to India Gate and from there to the Red Fort.