5 things to know about Gita Gopinath
Gita Gopinath has been appointed as International Monetary Fund’s chief economist. Her appointment has made every Indian proud. Her journey from a Middle-class girl to a world-class economist is a Saga of hard work, grit, and focus. She kept herself focused on her goal to achieve this title. During her childhood, her father used to arrange vegetables on a table to help her understand the concept of multiplication. Today, what she will bring to the table will impact the world economy. Her parents who stay in Mysuru are really proud of her. Recalling their daughter’s journey they got emotional and said, “It is no small achievement. We are grateful to God.” She is a true inspiration for all the young women out there.
Here are 5 things to know about her:
1. Currently, Gita Gopinath teaches Economics at Harvard University. She was born on December 8, 1971, in Calcutta. She has an elder sister Anita. Both of them have done their schooling from Mysuru.
2. Gita during her childhood loved athletics. She never missed her sports but one day she surprised everyone by quitting her passion. She became focused on her studies. Later, she did BA (Hons) in economics. She chose economics to pursue a career in civil services. After BA, Gita gave up her IAS dream and joined Delhi School of economics.
3. She met her future husband Iqbal Singh Dhaliwal in Delhi School of economics. Iqbal topped the civil examinations in 1996. He served the nation for 5 years and then quit his job and moved to the USA. Gita got married in the year 1998 and the couple today has a 15-year-old son.
4. She is extremely closed to her family. Her mother said, “She is only my baby, although the world sees her as a celebrity today. In spite of her tight schedule, she calls me every day. What else I want?
5. Gita parents say that all the credit goes to her husband. They say that he is extremely supportive, and make sure that Gita gets back to a loving family after a long day.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at