Foreign AffairsKaam Ki Baat

18 kids died in Uzbekistan; blames India for “lethal” cough syrup

Uzbekistan ministry said ethylene glycol was discovered in the preparation during laboratory examinations

According to the Uzbek Ministry of Health, Doc-1 Max, a syrup allegedly made in India and created by Noida-based Marion Biotech, is to blame for at least 18 kids’ deaths in Samarkand.

According to a statement from the Uzbekistan ministry, ethylene glycol was discovered in the preparation during laboratory examinations. It claimed that the affected children had taken the medication in both unprescribed and excessive doses.

The allegation claims that early laboratory tests have shown ethylene glycol in a particular batch of syrup. The drug is dangerous, according to the statement, and ingesting 1-2ml/kg of a 95% concentrated solution can result in nausea, vomiting, fainting, seizures, cardiovascular issues, and severe kidney failure.

Additionally, it claimed that without a doctor’s prescription, either by the children’s parents or on the advice of pharmacists, the syrup was administered to kids at home at amounts that were higher than those recommended for kids.

According to the ministry, it was discovered that the kids had been taking this syrup over the recommended dose for 2 to 7 days at home, in doses of 2.5 to 5 ml three to four times per day, before being sent to the hospital.

According to the statement, Doc-1 Max tablets and syrups have been removed from sale in all pharmacies across the nation following the deaths of 18 children, and seven staff have been let go for failing to act quickly enough to analyse the problem and take appropriate action.

Officers from the Uttar Pradesh Drugs Controlling and Licensing Authority and the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO – north zone) are working together to investigate the matter.

From its manufacturing facility, Marion Biotech said samples of the cough syrup have been obtained, and they are currently awaiting the test results.

“The administration is looking into the matter. Since the manufacture is currently ceased, we will proceed by their report “said Hasan Raza, director of legal affairs at Marion Biotech Pharma.

India-made cough syrups have been the subject of scrutiny twice in the past year.

Cough syrup made in India

Cough medications made by Maiden Pharmaceuticals, based in Haryana, were blamed for the deaths of 70 children in the Gambia earlier this year.

Before being admitted to the hospital, the children reportedly took the medication for 2 to 7 days in quantities of 2.5 to 5 ml, three to four times per day, which was more than the recommended dose for kids.

Read more: Blizzard of the Century: Monster Storm grips New Year Holidays, 70 Froze to Death

according to the statement, children should have 100 to 125 mg at a body temperature of 38 to 38.5 degrees Celsius, 200 mg between 1 and 3 years old, and 250 mg between 3 and 5 years old. It advised against taking the medication at room temperature.

The Central Drugs Standard Control Organization closed its Sonepat facility in October due to a manufacturing standard infraction.

Before this, the WHO had stated that a laboratory examination of Maiden cough syrup had revealed “unacceptable” levels of diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol, both of which are poisonous and can cause acute kidney impairment.

According to a letter dated December 15 from the Samarkand Regional Children’s Multidisciplinary Medical Center to Davronbek Zhumaniyozov, head of the Regional Health Department, which was cited in local news reports, there have been 21 reports of kidney failure and damage in children over the past two months. Anuria, or the inability to make urine, was noted in 17 patients with severe illness who required dialysis; 15 of these patients passed away.

Liked this post?
Register at One World News to never miss out on videos, celeb interviews, and best reads.

Show More

Tamkeenat Rose

A hodophiIe shutterbug and I am here to tell you interesting stories backed with proper information.
Back to top button