Sarson ka saag is the age old traditional Punjabi dish of mustard leaves. This is the famous cuisine of winters especially in the state of Punjab.
• Fresh mustard leaves (sarson) 4- 5 bunches
• Bathua 1 bunch
• Fresh spinach leaves (palak) 1 bunch
• Olive oil-5 tablespoons
• Ginger, sliced 2 one-inch pieces
• Onions, sliced 2 medium
• Green chilies 4
• Cornmeal 2 tablespoons
• Garlic, sliced 6-8 cloves
• Salt according to taste
Method of Preparation:
• Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic, ginger and onion and gently saute for about 3-4 minutes.
• Chop bathua and palak and add to the pan and again sauté for 2-3 minutes.
• Now break the chilies and add to pan.
• Sprinkle salt and cook till the green leaves becomes soft.
• Dissolve cornmeal in little water and add to the pan.
• Simmer for few minutes and serve it hot with makki ki roti and achaar.
This is a delicious and amazing way to enjoy the traditional sarson ka saag with a twist.
Take some baby turnips and add to the finally prepared saag. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and serve with a variation.