The National Girl Child Day 2024 is celebrated every 24th January in India. The Ministry of Women and Child Development initiated it in 2008. It aims to provide awareness on various issues, including nutrition, health, and education.
The government of India has introduced various measures (Dhanalakshmi) to strengthen the status of the baby girl in society. The Dhanalakshmi scheme ensures that the basic needs of a girl, like birth registration, immunization and school maintenance, are taken care of till class 8.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Beti Bachao Beti Padhao on 22nd January 2015 to address a significant declining trend in the Child Sex Ratio (CSR). The child Sex ratio is calculated on the number of girls for every 1000 boys between the age group of 0-6 years. The overall goal of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao campaign is to celebrate the Girl Child and enable education for her.
We’re now on WhatsApp. Click to join.
Other measures like the Prohibition of Child Marriage Restraint Act 2006, Domestic Violence Act 2009, POCSO Act 2012, and Pre-Conception & Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC&PND T) Act 1994, have been taken to stop various injustices against the girl child.
1. To increase awareness against the social stigma and discrimination girls face.
2. To generate awareness among the people and ensure every girl gets equal importance as boys.
3. To increase awareness of the declining Child Sex Ratio and create a positive environment around valuing the girl child.
According to the Census data of 2011, only 65.46% of females were literate, as against 82.14 % of males. The survey also revealed that gender discrimination is still a thing in society.
The Indian government has introduced various schemes to ensure every girl child enjoys a better life. Here are a few of those rights:
1. Child marriages have been restricted in India.
2. Use of ultrasound tests for gender discrimination has been made illegal across the country.
3. “Save the Girl Child” has been introduced by the Indian government.
4. Introduction of Self-Help groups to ensure a better livelihood for girls in rural areas.
Every child in the country may be a boy, or a girl, which is essential and is the country’s future. Girls should be treated equally and get all the opportunities in our society for the welfare of the Nation as a whole.
Liked this post?
Register at One World News to never miss out on videos, celeb interviews, and best reads.