What are the benefits of eating bajra and how to add this millet to your diet?
Bajra, or pearl millet, holds a significant place in ancient wisdom for its nutritional richness and suitability for winter consumption.
According to Dietician Priya Bansal, “Bajra is one of India’s most widely grown millets and has various health benefits. It is an excellent flour option for people who want to maintain a healthy weight during the winter.”
Here are seven benefits of eating bajra during the winter season.
- 1. Warmth and Energy: Bajra is a warming grain that generates heat within the body, providing essential warmth during the cold season and keeping your body temperature warm.
- 2. Nutrient Density: Rich in minerals like iron, magnesium, and phosphorus, bajra helps combat winter fatigue and boosts overall energy levels.
- 3. Digestive Health: Its high fibre content aids digestion, prevents constipation, and supports gut health, which can be particularly beneficial in winter.
- 4. Immune Support: Loaded with antioxidants and immune-boosting properties, bajra helps fortify the body against winter-related illnesses.
- 5. Regulates Blood Sugar: Bajra has a low glycemic index, assisting in stabilizing blood sugar levels, an essential aspect during the winter months.
- 6. Nourishment for Skin and Hair: Its nutritional profile contributes to healthier skin and hair, combating dryness and maintaining a radiant appearance.
- 7. Gluten-Free Alternative: Bajra serves as a gluten-free grain, making it suitable for individuals with gluten sensitivities.
We’re now on WhatsApp. Click to join.
Recipes using Bajra
1. Bajra Khichdi
Cook bajra along with lentils, vegetables, and aromatic spices for a comforting and nutritious one-pot meal.
- Bajra Roti
Replace a portion of wheat flour with bajra flour to make nutritious rotis or flatbreads.
- Bajra Puffs
This is a great snack that is both yummy and healthy.
- Bajra Bread
Replace the store-bought bread with bajra bread this winter and see how your body feels amazing.
Like this post?
Register at One World News to never miss out on videos, celeb interviews, and best reads.