Pakistan escaped the Afghan scare, Australia overpowers New Zealand to stay at top
The 30th day in World had two matches in the kitty. Pakistan was fighting to live one more day against Afghanistan at Headingley, Leeds. New Zealand was playing to secure their place in the Semi-finals of the World Cup. Pakistan had a narrow escape as their lower order kept the nerves and took them over the line in last over. On the other hand, Australia crushed New Zealand at the iconic Lords by 86 runs.
Let’s look at the top ten important highlights of yesterday.
- Trent Boult took the second hat-trick of the World Cup 2019. He took wickets of Usman Khwaja, Michelle Starc and Jason Behrendorff in the last over of Australian innings. He also became the first Kiwi bowler to take a hat-trick in the World Cup.
- Shaheen Afridi shined again and took 4 wickets by spending only 47 runs in 10 overs
- Imad Wasim played a blinder of innings when he scored 49* off 54 balls and took his team home
- Spinners of Afghanistan were good but not good enough to defend 227. 38 overs were bowled by Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan and Samiullah Shinwari who gave 139 runs and shared 5 wickets between them.
- Usman Khawaja anchored the innings with gritty 88 against NZ and took his team to a respectable total which proved to be more than enough at last.
- Alex Carey scored 71 of 72 balls on a slow pitch. He was awarded Man of the Match for his performance
- Kane Williamson put an all-round performance. The captain made 40 runs and took 1 wicket at by giving only 25 runs in 7 over.
- Mitchell Starc took the second fifer in this World Cup and took his wicket tally to 24.
- Martin Guptill failed again and got out on just 20 runs.
- Star bowler Mohammad Amir went wicketless and Wahab Riaz scalped two.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org