New York is ready to get its first female governor as Andrew Cuomo submits his resignation. Who is Kathy Hochul?
New York governor Andrew Cuomo announced his resignation on Tuesday. Following a report from the attorney general alleging that he sexually harassed multiple women.
Now, New York Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul will take his place. She is ready to become the 57th state governor and the first woman to hold this position. She has served as a Lt. Governor since 2015.
Read more:- Is there Anything Shameful in Being a ‘Ghar?
In a media briefing, Kathy Hochul said, “The attorney general investigation has documented repulsive and unlawful behaviour by the governor towards the multiple women. I believe in these brave women and admire their courage to come forward.”
Kathy agrees with the governor’s decision to step down by calling it in ‘Nation’s interest and the right thing to do’.
Andrew Cuomo announces his resignation
Andrew Cuomo announces his resignation from the post. While resigning he said,
“This is one of the most challenging times for the government in a generation. The government needs to function today. The government needs to perform. It is the matter of life and death in government operations. And wasting energy on distractions is the last thing that the state government should be doing. I cannot be the cause of that. ”
In his final statement as a governor, he conveyed that ‘New York tough’ means ‘New York loving’. And he loves New York and its citizens.
Here are ten things to know about New York’s to be Governor Kathy Hochul:
- She grew up in a working-class Irish Catholic family in western New York. She has said her political views derive from her father. Her father was a steelworker and union organizer.
- Hochul graduated from Syracuse University. She also holds a law degree at the Catholic University of America in Washington D.C.
- She served as a legal and legislative aide to Congressman John LaFalce. And then to Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan.
- She was first elected to public office in the 1980s as a council member in Hamburg, a town in the south of Buffalo in New York. Afterwards, then-Governor Eliot Spitzer appointed her as the Erie County clerk in 2007.
- After another sex-related scandal representative, Chris Lee resigned from his congressional seat after reportedly sending shirtless pictures to a woman he met on craigslist.
- She won a special U.S. House election in 2011 by campaigning against the Republican Party to overhaul Medicare. The same district had not gone to a Democrat for 40 years.
- Governor Andrew Cuomo’s team asked Hochul to join the gubernatorial ticket in 2014.
- Cuomo and Hochul won that year. The duo won again in 2018.
- As a Lt. Governor, Kathy chairs 10 economic development councils that invest in projects across the state.
- She led Cuomo’s “enough is enough” campaign in 2015.
- Hochul makes a point of visiting each of New York’s 62 counties every year. She kept her travel up through the pandemic.