What is Baking Soda: How Can You Use It For Your Daily Uses
Baking soda, chemically known as sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline solid fine powder. Ever wondered the other usages of baking soda? We tell you the varied uses of the baking soda that you might be unaware of. Baking soda has much more to offer than just being used in homemade cookies and dough rise. It is extensively used in deodorizing refrigerators.
Well, it is a magical ingredient finding application in personal care, cuisine, etc. It is inexpensive, easily available and effective. It has a neutralizing effect on coming in contact with either acid or base. It has a strong buffer action which helps neutralizes acidic odors as well as odors produced by alkaline substances.
Baking Soda: Unmatched Uses
Here is listed some of the creative uses of baking soda aka sodium bicarbonate that should be borne in mind:
Baking soda finds its effective uses in our daily personal care routine.
1. Excellent Exfoliating Agent
• Since the particles of sodium bicarbonate are round in texture, therefore it is widely used as an exfoliating agent. It is used in scrubs to shed off the dead lusterless cells from the skin.
2. Mouthwashes and Toothpaste
• It is also used in mouthwashes and toothpaste to have a clean and fresh mouth. It kills the bacteria and neutralizes mouth odor. Being antiseptic it also prevents infections of oral cavity.
• Just sprinkle on your toothbrush instead of toothpaste and brush your teeth to sparkling white.
• It freshens up your mouth. Rinse your mouth with a baking soda solution in water and notice how mouth odors are neutralized.
3. Oral Appliances
• Baking soda solution is also used to soak your oral appliances. Dentures, retainers, and even toothbrushes if soaked in the baking soda solution, will become hygienically clean. This will give you a refreshing feeling that will make your day beautiful!!!
4. Get that Body Odor-Off
By just patting baking soda in your armpits, you will get rid of the irritating body odor. Be scent-sational and substitute chemical deodorant with baking soda.
Baking Soda: Medicinal Uses
Baking soda has some important medicinal properties like:
1. Reliving Antacid
Owing to its neutralizing and buffering properties conditions like heartburn, sour stomach or indigestion can be safely treated by baking soda.
2. Cures Itchy Skin and Insect Bites
A paste of baking soda can be used to salve the itchy skin or insect bites. It relieves the skin irritation and itching and soothes the affected area.
3. Hair Care
Even in hair care, baking soda has a significant role to play. Use a little baking soda along with your favorite shampoo and wash as usual. It makes your hair manageable and clean.
Baking Soda: A Good Cleaning Agent
Baking soda is a wonderful cleaning agent. Some of its important uses are listed below;
1. Cleans Dishes and Pots
Mix two tablespoon of baking soda with your regular detergent. This mixture will be very effective in cleaning your kitchen dishes and pots as never before.
2. Freshen Sponges
Sick of those messy and stinky sponges, just soak them in baking soda solution. They will freshen up and will surprise you.
3. Cleans Microwave
Apply a little baking soda solution on the sponge and clean the inside and outside of the microwave. This will not only clean your microwave but will also remove the bad odor from inside.
4. Cleans Silverware
Application of baking soda on your old silver possessions will make them sparkling clean as never before!!! Just rub a little baking soda on the silver articles and wipe with a clean damp cloth. They will become sparkling and sterling bright.
5. Cleans Coffee Stains
The stubborn coffee and tea stains can be removed by applying the baking soda and warm water solution. Soaking overnight might be required in some cases.
6. Cleans Floor
Dirt and grease can be removed from the tiled floors by applying baking soda in a bucket of warm water. Leave the solution for 15 minutes and then mop.
7. Cleans Furniture
Excellent unmatched use of baking soda is the way it removes crayons marks from wooden furniture or walls. Just apply baking soda on a damp sponge and rub gently. Your walls will be clean in a few seconds.
Baking Soda: Other Important Uses
Some other miscellaneous uses of baking soda are as follows:
1. Good Fire Extinguisher
Baking soda is used to control fire emergencies in the kitchen. It releases carbon dioxide on being heated which suppresses the fire to some extent. Switch off the electricity supply and throw baking soda on the flame to control fire and call the fire brigade if needed.
2. Septic System Care
By regularly using baking soda, your septic system will function properly and adequately. This will save you from the menace caused by a septic blockage.
3. Fruit and Vegetable Scrub
Since baking soda is safe therefore it can be used to clean fruits and vegetables from dirt and invisible microbes. Apply a little baking soda on them and clean with a damp clean cloth.
So, in a nutshell, it can be stated that baking soda is that one thing that you should never forget to carry even to a deserted land.
Interesting Facts About Baking Soda
• Double-acting baking powder contains two acid salts. It reacts two times with a liquid.
• Single acting baking soda acts only once with liquid.
• Once opened, the baking powder lasts for about 6-9 months
Check out these 20 Unbelievable uses for Baking Soda That blow your mind:-
Video Courtesy:- Positive Med
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org