Sanjay Gandhi once banned songs of Kishore Kumar on All India Radio and Doordarshan
Sanjay Gandhi, son of Indira Gandhi was expected to succeed his mother as her political heir. His unexpected death on June 23, 1980, due to plane crash was a huge blow to Indian National Congress. Sanjay’s widow Maneka Gandhi and son Varun Gandhi are active politicians in BJP these days.
Today on his 73rd Birth Anniversary; we are bringing some facts about him.
– Sanjay Gandhi was born in New Delhi and was the youngest son of Feroze and Indira Gandhi. He did his schooling in Dehradun.
– He never went to college but he took up automotive engineering and apprenticed in English with Rolls-Royce.
– Sanjay had a great interest in cars and he even founded Maruti Udyog, but the company did not produce any vehicles during his lifetime.
– Sanjay Gandhi banned all his songs on All India Radio and Doordarshan, when famous singer Kishore Kumar refused to sing at a Congress rally in Mumbai during the emergency.
– Former PM Of India, I K Gujral had resigned from Ministry of Information and Broadcasting saying that Sanjay Gandhi was interfering in ministry matters.
– An assassination attempt was made against Sanjay Gandhi in March 1977 in New Delhi during an election campaign where shots were fired at his car.
– He launched a compulsory sterilization programme in September 1976 to check population growth.
– In May 1980, he was appointed as the Secretary General of Congress Party.
– Wikileaks claimed that 3 assassination attempts were made against the younger brother of Rajiv Gandhi.
– Sanjay Gandhi was very attached to his mother Indira Gandhi. It is said that he was the one who controlled the government at the time of emergency.
– Sanjay Gandhi died in a plane crash on June 23, 1980.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org