Pratibha Patil was accused of using government funds for foreign trips
Pratibha Devi Singh Patil is celebrating her 85th birthday on 19th December 2019. She was India’s, first woman President and India’s 12th President of the country. She is the member of Indian National Congress who previously served as the Governor of Rajasthan from 2004 to 2007. Today on the birthday of the only woman President of India, let’s look at some of the facts you should know about her.
Pratibha Patil was born in the village of Nadgaon, in the Jalgaon district of Maharashtra. She completed her master’s degree in Political Science and Economics.
– She took a Bachelor of Law degree from Government Law College, Mumbai and practiced law at the Jalgaon District Court.
– She later developed an interest in social issues such as improving the conditions faced by Indian women.
– Patil was elected as the MLA from the Jalgaon constituency at the age of 27. She then went on to win four consecutive times from 1967 to 1985.
– She came became the Member of Parliament in Rajya Sabha in 1985 and stayed there till 1990.
– Pratibha Patil then became the 24th governor of Rajasthan. She was the first woman to hold that office.
– She was criticized for allegedly using government funds to take foreign trips overseas, often with relatives while she was the President. Patil was noted for taking a greater number of foreign trips than any prior president.
– The headline was created when it was said that she allegedly acquired land in Pune, Maharashtra, to construct her retirement home.
– The former President set up Vidya Bharti Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, an institute which runs chains of colleges and schools in Amravati, Mumbai, and Jalgaon.
– Pratibha Patil also founded a sugar factory known as Sant Muktabai Sahakari Sakhar Karkhana.
– She set up a Shram Sadhna Trust. It runs hostels for working women in Mumbai, New Delhi, and Pune.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com