The BJP minister can’t keep herself away from the trolls
Nirmala Sitharaman, finance minister of India is turning 61 this August. Nirmala Sitharaman made history when she was chosen as the first female full-time finance minister of India. A JNU pass out Nirmala Sitharaman is currently the Rajya Sabha member (upper house) from Karnataka. She is also in charge of the COVID-19 Economic Response Task Force to battle the economic challenges in the country due to coronavirus. The present finance minister has become the target of trolls on several occasions. Here are 5 instances when her statements brought Memes Ka Sailaab.
1. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman during a press conference on September 2019 had said that the mindset of millennials is one of the reasons behind the automobile crisis. She said that the youth of the country prefer to take an Uber or Ola instead of investing in EMIs to buy a personal vehicle and this change in the mindset of millennials is one of the big reasons behind the crisis. The statement as expected did not go down well with millennials and they began expressing their views in the way they know best: by making memes and jokes on social media. She was heavily trolled by people for her statement.
2. She made headlines again on December 5 2019, when she was speaking about the higher-price of onions in the country. While speaking in parliament she had said that she belongs to a family which doesn’t eat much onion and garlic. As a part of her answer in Lok Sabha, Sitharaman talked about her eating habits. She had said, “I don’t eat a lot of onion and garlic. I come from a family which doesn’t have a lot to do with onion.” Memers savoured this moment and filled the social media with hilarious memes after the statement.
3. Finance minister in September 2019 was trolled after a press conference in which she talked about the growing concerns over the economic situation of the country. During the press conference, she was asked several questions on acknowledging the fall of GDP figures, economic slowdown and job losses. There were instances during the press conference when Sitharaman looked clueless and skirted the question. The famous meme “When the question is out of syllabus” was hot for several days.
4. The BJP minister presented her first Union Budget on July 5 and soon after her long speech, social media went abuzz with memes. #Budget2019 and #BudgetForNewIndia were trending after netizens posted hilarious memes involving film scenes and advertisements with a message they didn’t understand anything from the speech.
5. After Prime Minister announced the 20 lakh crore special package for the COVID-19 hit country, Nirmala Sitharaman unveiled the package in details over the next five days in May 2020. Nirmala was announcing the details in English and Anurag Thakur, the state finance minister announced it in Hindi. Social media was is too ruthless to lose this opportunity as they pounded on it with several memes.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com