Physical activity has been proposed as the most important adjunct for prevention of obesity.
The goals are to increase energy expenditure and to improve physical fitness.
Some beneficial effects of regular sustained physical activity include:
1. Lowering the serum triglyceride level and blood pressure.
2. Improved glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity.
3. Increase in HDL cholesterol levels.
4. Increase in cardio respiratory fitness and energy expenditure.
5. Increase in BMR.
6. Lowers the set point and reduces body fat.
7. Improves and helps to maintain bone density.
8. Also helps to reduce stress and alleviate depression.