Include Indian delicious and healthy drinks in your meal to stay hydrated this summer
Well, summers are not easy to handle. It is very important to keep yourself hydrated with water or with energy drinks. But do you know these energy drinks consists a lot of calories that can actually affect your health in a long run. So, here is a pure natural Indian drink popularly known as chaas, buttermilk is an amazing traditional drink which is loaded with numerous health benefits.
Some of these benefits are so wonderful that after knowing them you would literally find excuses to drink buttermilk every day in summers. It is a drink made with curd and is flavored with spices such as salt, roasted cumin, curry leaves, ginger etc. Made alternative to the unhealthy carbonated drinks or packed-juices, a glass or two of chaas if had every day in summers will surely transform the kind of summers you would have till now. A tried and tested drink in India since ages, buttermilk attracts us towards itself for more than one reason. Here are some of them: 10 Reasons to Drink Buttermilk in summers.
1. A great way to combat dehydration – This drink will always keep you hydrated in summers. The harsh sun drains out all the water and energy out of your body. In this weather, buttermilk which contains curd, water and spices is a great way to combat dehydration and keep yourself hydrated.
2. Cools down stomach after having a spicy meal– We cannot even imagine Indian food without spices. Buttermilk can prevent acidity. You got to have a glass of buttermilk, if you had a spicy meal in summers. Else the outside heat combined with the heat created by spices in your body can be harmful. Nothing else but a glass of cool chaas is the best way to provide some respite in this situation.
3. Helps in digestion – Buttermilk is a solution to the problem of indigestion. Buttermilk contains a superb combination of spices such as roasted jeera, pepper, ginger etc. All of these help to digest food better. In fact, if you feel that your stomach is complaining of some sort of indigestion, nothing works better than a glass of cool buttermilk on a hot summer day.
4. Can be made easily at home – No worries guys it can easily made at home. Though chaas is readily in packed forms too nowadays, but its best when prepared at home and it hardly takes any time. To make it even quicker, you can mix spices proportionately in advance in a separate container and add it to your glass of chaas every time you have it. This way you would not have to reach out to different containers for adding spices and none of them gets left out too.
5. Packed with vitamins – We can give you plenty of reasons that Buttermilk is very good for health. Buttermilk is loaded with vitamins, so having it is a great way of boosting energy.
6. Fulfills calcium requirement of body – Milk contains calcium but also fat. So if you want to fulfill your body’s requirement of calcium without taking in the fat, then buttermilk should be your pick every day. In fact, it is also good way for lactose intolerant people to provide their body the required calcium since it converts lactose into lactic acid.
7 Prevents acidity – As we mentioned above. Buttermilk prevents acidity in stomach which is a common problem of all of us. Have a small cool glass of buttermilk and take our words that you will feel better than ever!
8. Good for heart health – Since buttermilk contains lots of potassium, it does a great job in maintaining your heart healthy. It even controls high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
9. Boosts immunity – It also boost immunity. In some parts of our country, summers are too harsh and bring lots of diseases and infections. Having buttermilk as a daily habit does a great deal in boosting up immunity and fighting against these infections.
10 Has Skin benefits too– Apart from health benefits, it has skin benefits too. Summers falling harsh on your skin? Have a glass of buttermilk everyday and keep yourself glowing even in this fiery weather!
This is how you can make this beverage at home
Curd- one cup
Cold water- two cups
Salt- to taste
Black pepper- a pinch or two
Roasted cumin powder- 1/4thteaspoon
Small piece of ginger
Curry leaves- 2-3
Coriander leaves- 4-5
Green chilli-1 (optional)
Mint leaves – 2-3 (optional)
Method: Grind the spices well. Now pour the curd in a big bowl and add spices. Whisk this well so as to remove all the lumps. Now add water in stages and keep whisking for a minute or two. You can also add a few ice-cubes depending upon how cold you want your chaas to be. Pour in a glass and serve!
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at