Mahua Moitra highlights 7 early signs of Fascism: Here is everything you need to know
Mahua Moitra’s maiden speech in Lok Sabha has made her a National Star. The video of her speech is being circulated in the millions and has become “Speech of The Year” at social media. In her fiery speech, she pointed out 7 signs of early Fascism on a poster in a Holocaust Memorial Museum in the US and how India is moving towards it.
During the speech she said, she was reading the points to show that India’s constitution was under threat and country was being “torn apart” by ruling party’s “Lust to divide”.
Let us understand what is Fascism?
Fascism is a form of government which is a type of one-party dictatorship. Notably, Fascists are against democracy. Basically, Fascism puts the nation and often race above the individual. It stands for a centralized government headed by a dictator.
Here are 7 signs that she pointed out in the Lok Sabha:
- There is a powerful and continuing nationalism. It is searing into our national fabric. Adding to this, she said, “It is Superficial, it is Xenophobic, and it’s narrow. It’s Lust to divide and not the desire to Unite.”
- Ms. Moitra pointed out a resounding disdain for human rights. She said that it has increased 10 times in the number of hate crimes between 2014- 2019
- She went on to criticize mass media and said TV channels spend the majority of airtime broadcasting propaganda for the ruling party.
- Mahua Moitra attacked the government for its obsession with national security. An atmosphere of fear pervaded the country, with new enemies being created every day.
- The 5thsign that she mentioned was about government and religion are now intertwined. She said, “Do I need to even speak about it.”Need I remind you that we have redefined what it actually means to be a citizen?
- The first time female MP also spoke about “complete disdain for intellectuals and the arts” and the repression of all dissent- and said it is pushing back India to dark ages
- The Last point was the erosion of Independence in our Electoral System
She spoke for 10 minutes and her fiery speech, the 42 –yr –old stood firm and called on the speaker to rein in the Professional hecklers.
If you haven’t watched it yet, take a look here:
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com