J&K and Ladakh become separate UT from today: Important Highlights
The state of Jammu and Kashmir was converted into two union territories under the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019. Notably, on August 5, the Parliament had abrogated its special status under Article 370. Interestingly, the decision came into effect on the 144th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbahi Patel.
Well, it is the first instance when a full-fledged state has become a Union Territory. The reverse had happened before when Goa was made a state. Now, let us understand what all is going to change? Here are 10 important highlights:
1. There would be one less state in the country. There will be 28 states & 9 union territories in India.
2. Notably, the UT of Jammu and Kashmir will have legislature like Puducherry while Ladakh will be a UT without a legislature just like Chandigarh. Both the UTs will be headed by Lieutenant Governor under the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019.
3. The tenure of Jammu and Kashmir will now be 5 years. Earlier, it was of six years. In the Lok Sabha, Jammu and Kashmir UT will have 5 MPs while Ladakh will have two MPs
4. The UTs of Jammu and Kashmir & Ladakh will be headed by Lieutenant Governor CG Murmu and RK Mathur, respectively.
5. Notably, the two LGs will be sworn- in by Chief Justice of Jammu and Kashmir High Court Gita Mittal.
6. RK Mathur will take his oath in Leh while CG Murmu will take oath in Srinagar.
7. The constitution of Jammu and Kashmir & Ranbir Penal code will no longer be effective. Now, it will also come under the Indian penal code.
8. Under the new constitutional arrangement, women of Kashmir will no longer be subjected to ‘Sharia’ which means Kashmiri women will not be denied inheritance even if she marries a person from other parts of the country.
9. The center will be in the direct control of police and law and order in Jammu and Kashmir from today.
10. The new UTs came into existence on the National Unity Day which marks the birth anniversary of Sadar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com