The twelfth month of Georgian calendar is December and is derived from the Latin name for ‘ten’. It was previously the tenth month unless January and February were added and December’s position was shifted from tenth to twelfth.
Here are some interesting facts about December:
• Zodiac signs for December are Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21) and Capricorn (December 22 – January 19).
• Turquoise is the birthstone of December.
• Narcissus is the birth flower of December.
• World’s AIDS Day is observed on December 1st.
• December 3 is observed as the International Day of the Disabled Person.
• December is the Universal Human Rights Month
• December is also the National Read a New Book Month
• Nobel Prizes are awarded in the month of December.
• ‘On December 4, 1791, The Observer newspaper (the first Sunday newspaper) was first published in Britain.’
• Holy Christmas Day is celebrated on December 25th.
• On December 7, 1941, The United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japanese planes killing more than 2,300 Americans.
• On December 20, 1803, the Louisiana Purchase was completed.
• Kwanzaa is celebrated on December 26 – January 1 every year.
• National Stress Free Family Holiday Month
• December 27th is National Chocolate Day
• On December 29, 1862, the bowling bowl was invented.
• First heart transplant was done on December 3, 1967.
• On December 17, 1903, the Wright Brothers made their first flight.