List of Indian films nominated for OSCARS: Films that made every Indian Proud
It is not just a YAY moment for Priyanka Chopra but for every Indian. Rajkummar Rao, Adarsh Gourav and Priyanka Chopra starrer The White Tiger has been nominated for OSCARS. The stunning actress took her social media to share this great news with her fans. The film is nominated in the Best Adapted Category. After Priyanka, her co-stars Rajkummar Rao and Adarsh Gourav too celebrated the Oscar nod on social media. Well, the White Tiger is not the first Indian film to be nominated for the Oscars. Here is a list of Indian films nominated for the Oscar. Without any further delay, let us take a look!
So far only 3 films have been nominated in OSCAR, despite several entries.
1. Mother India: It was the first Indian film that was sent to the Academy Awards. It was selected and was nominated in the Best International Feature film category. The film came close to winning but lost to Nights of Cabiria by a single vote.
2. Another film that made to list of nomination was Mira Nair’s Salam Bombay that released in the year 1989.
3. The last and final was Aamir Khan starrer Lagaan went on to become a blockbuster in the year 2002.After that, not a single Indian film was nominated for the Academy Award. Finally, this year we got another film that made to the list. The White Tiger definitely deserves the nomination and we are super proud. We hope this year we will win an OSCAR.
Here is a list of films that were sent for nominations
1. Gully Boy: Zoya Akhtar’s Gully Boy was selected as India’s official entry for the year 2020. The Film stars Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt. It was a story of a rapper from the streets of Mumbai who dreamt to make it big in the world. The film was the biggest blockbuster of the year 2019.
2. Village Rockstar ( 2018) A Kampuri Assamese language coming –of –age film, it was premiered at the Toronto Festival in the year 2017. The film was selected as India’s official entry to the 91st Oscars, but couldn’t get nominated for the top nine films from the 87 entries.
3. Barfi: Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra and Ileana D’Cruz starrer Barfi which was directed by Anurag Basu were sent to Academy Awards in the year 2012. Sadly, the film wasn’t nominated.
4. Peepli Live: Do you remember the song, Mehangyi Dain? Exploring the topic of farmer suicide, the film was produced by Aamir Khan Productions. It was sent for nominations but wasn’t selected.
5. Rang De Basanti: Story of 5 men, whose live change drastically, as they act in a documentary of five Indian revolutionaries. The film was sent as an entry for OSCAR in the Best Foreign Language Film category but did not receive any nomination.
6. Paheli: Directed by Amol Palekar starring Shah Rukh Khan and Rani Mukherjee in the lead roles, the film was sent as an entry in the year 2006.
List of Indians who won Oscar Awards
Winning OSCAR is the ultimate goal for many artists. It is one of the biggest achievements in an artist life. The competition for awards in each category is so huge that making it to nominations itself calls for a celebration. There are very few Indians who have won OSAR. India submits an official list of selected movies in different regional languages to OSCAR. Well, we have never won the Best Foreign film award, but there are a few artists who have made us super proud.
1. Bhanu Athaiya is also known as Oscar lady. Notably, she created history by becoming the first Indian to win OSCAR. She started off her career as a fashion illustrator. Later, she moved to design and tasted a lot of success. Interestingly, she designed costumes for more than 100 films and 1982 film, Gandhi made her won the “Academy Award for Best Costume Design”
(Satya Jit Ray)
- Satyajit Ray one of the most celebrated filmmakers in the history of Indian cinema won Oscar in the year 1992. Owing to his ill health, he delivered his winning speech from the hospital bed.
- Gulzar Sahab: His actual name is Sampooran Singh Kalra. He is a famous India lyricist and film director and his song Jai Ho won him the OSCAR for the best original song.
- AR Rahman:The Musical pride of India and nobody can deny this fact. He is the only Indian to win OSCAR twice in the same year. He won it for the film Slum Dog Millionaire in the category of Best Score and Best Original Song for Jai Ho
- Resul Pookutty:The 81stAcademy Awards were special for Indians. Two of our countrymen won the prestigious award. AR Rahman and Resul Pookutty. Notably, Resul won the award in the Best Sound Mixing category.
This year The White Tiger has been nominated for OSCAR and it definitely calls for a celebration.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org