The most controversial statements said by the celebrities that landed them into big trouble
Television actor Munmun Dutta of Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah is under fire for a makeup video she shared on social media, which contained a slur against India’s marginalized communities. She has now posted an apology on social media. In her now-deleted video, she could be heard using the slur about her physical appearance. There was a lot of ruckus on the video, Munmun began to be criticized. After which she removed that part from the video and publicly apologized on Twitter. There are, however, wide calls being made on the internet for legal action against the 33-year-old under the Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribes Act. This is not the first time that celebrities have said something that landed them in trouble. Indian cinema and celebs have changed a lot ever since the emergence of the internet. There was a time when there was no social media or digital news websites but now things have changed drastically. In a digital era, every move and word of a celeb is minutely scrutinized. Now, celebs think about it a lot before making a statement in public, yet there have been instances where they have landed in trouble despite taking a lot of precautions.
We have made a list of celebrities who found themselves in the middle of a controversy after a statement they made in public which landed them into big trouble.
1. Kangana Ranaut is indeed the queen of controversy. She always says things that don’t go well with the public as well as the industry. When she made her “official” Twitter debut, she had been courting controversy with almost every tweet of hers. She often mocked depression and named it a consequence of drug abuse. Sometimes she compares Mumbai to Pakistan and because of that tweet she was in a scuffle with Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut. Her Twitter account has been recently suspended because of her controversial tweets. She asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to “tame” an opposition leader using his leadership style of the “early 2000s” – a likely reference to rioting on his watch, which left over 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, dead. Her tweet drew outrage on Twitter. A couple of complaints were filed against the actress.
2. Salman Khan has always been one of the controversies’ favourite children. While describing his gruelling practice sessions for his film Sultan, Salman said that after coming out of the ring post-practice, he felt like a ‘raped woman’. Worst of all, he showed no remorse for his comments. After a lot of criticism and uproar on social media over his rape remark, his father, legendary screenwriter Salim Khan had tweeted, “Undoubtedly what Salman said is wrong, the example and the context. The intention was not wrong.”
3. Sonam Kapoor’s unfiltered and most obnoxious statements has landed her into big trouble. She once said that she doesn’t believe in censorship so whether they like it or not, she really doesn’t care about it. She also said that she just wants people to come and see her film. She has also called Aishwarya Rai “Aunty”. This did not go down well with Aishwarya and Sonam. Sonam Kapoor may be best known for her great sense of fashion, but that’s not the only thing she is famous for. She can say unusual and controversial comments too.
4. Aamir Khan found himself at the receiving end of social media trolling and protests in 2015. His statement had sparked controversy and even earned him death threats. He said that India has become intolerant and he doesn’t feel safe anymore. This surely landed him into big trouble and people abused him for his bold statement. Some called him anti-India.
5. Sara Ali khan made a stupid statement when she was asked about colourism. She said: “If you wanna be tan, just put on some bronzer, and if you wanna be fair, put on some powder.”
Have a news story, an interesting write-up, or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com