Census 2021: Important Highlights & what all be covered this time?
With the New Year starting, the Government is ready with its plan about the Census. Here is everything you should know about the Census.
What is the Census?
The Census is an exercise that is conducted once every 10 years. It is an elaborate task that requires the compiling of huge amounts of data about the population- demographics, economic and social status, housing, etc. The last available Census for India is the 2011 Census.
When will it begin?
It will begin on 1st April 2020 and end by September 2020.
Who conducts the Census?
It is conducted by the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
What are the questions that will be asked for the Census?
According to The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, there are around 31 questions that will be asked for the purpose of the Census. Some of them are-
- Number of people in your household
- Food you eat- the main cereal that is consumed
- Vehicle owned- car, jeep, van or scooter, bike, moped
- Condition of the Census House
- The sex of the head of the household and whether they belong to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe or any other category.
- Number of married couples living in the household
- Main source of latrine
- Access to the latrine and the type of latrine
- Access to the internet
- Electronics owned- Television, Laptop, Computer, Mobile phone, Smartphone
Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India Vivek Joshi issues notification on information to be sought by Census officers during census 2021. pic.twitter.com/A2eybMitWy
— ANI (@ANI) January 9, 2020
It has also been mentioned that the phone number s would be taken and used only for communication-related to Census.
One of the unique things about this Census would be that it would be conducted on mobile phones and not the old method of using pen and paper, showing how we are actually moving towards a Digital India.
A piece of key information is that the collection of data for NPR- National Population Registry will also be done along with the Census. The preparation would be done by September 2020.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com