Alarming situation at LAC in Ladakh, Know recent developments

Ankit Kumar
0
85
china india border dispute latest news

Shots fired at the LAC for the first time in years


Border tension between India and China escalated on 7-8 September night when Chinese troops fired shots in the air. This is probably the first time in decades when shots were fired at the LAC (Line of Actual Control) border. Hours after the firing, Chinese military in a statement said that Indian troops fired warning shots near a Chinese border patrol. They termed India’s action as a “grave military provocation of a vile character.”[S1]

Indian officials denied the accusation and said that it was China that broke the year-long tradition by firing warning shots to intimidate Indian troops. The statement also said that despite the grave provocation, Indian armed forces exercised great restraint and behaved in a mature and responsible manner.

The border dispute between the two neighboring countries has escalated to a point, where it won’t be wrong to say that the situation is very alarming.

Casualties so far                                                   

Earlier on June 15th, the clash took place in the Galwan Valley in which our 20 soldiers died protecting our boundaries. Later in August, a soldier from a secretive force of Tibetan refugees who worked for the Indian Army died after he stepped on a land mine. China has not revealed the number of casualties so far.

Thousands of reinforcements have rushed to the conflict area, backed by heavy artillery, fighter jets and tanks from both sides. The clashes have sparked a wave of anti-china sentiments. The Government of India has also taken some indirect steps to hurt China economically by banning Chinese apps, giving tenders of government projects to China and other measures.

Read more: Media report Suicides but doesn’t report about its own fraternity: What an irony?

What officials have said on the border-tension

External Affairs Minister, S Jaishankar in an interview described the situation as unprecedented and most serious after the India-China war in 1962. Manoj Mukund Naravane, Army Chief, had described the situation along the border as slight tense few days earlier and said that deployment of troops has taken place as a precautionary measures.

Rajnath Singh, Defence Minister (Now officially called Raksha Mantri) met Chinese Defence minister, General Wei Fenghe at the SCO summit in Moscow on 4th September. The meeting that lasted 2 hours and 2minutes, saw Rajanth Singh blaming the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) for its aggressive behavior along the Line of Actual Control. He also accused PLA of trying ruthlessly transgress into the Indian territory even after being warned several times.

The Defense Ministry of India, on its Twitter handle, shared some insights from the meeting. One of the tweets said that Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh has clearly stated to the Chinese counterpart that Indian troops have always taken a responsible approach towards border management but that doesn’t mean that we will not protect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country.

China’s threat to India

On the other hand, China’s military mouthpiece Global Times on Saturday said that China is much stronger than India, including the military. It said that even though India and China, are both great powers, India will lose if it comes to the ultimate competition of combat capability. In the editorial, the Global Times added that India has no chance of winning in case of a border war.

Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at info@oneworldnews.com

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments