Know about all the changes in rate of fines for road violations in Motor Vehicles Bill
Motor Vehicles Bill was passed in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday. This bill proposes heavy fines and tougher penalties for road violations. The bill was earlier passed in the Lok Sabha, which was then introduced by the NDA government in the Upper house yesterday. It is just one step away from becoming the law. It just requires the President’s signature. However, the Motor Vehicles Bill has gone back to the Lower house for a typo.
Here are the 10 most important things from Motor Vehicles Bill which you should know because it will affect your life:
- Drivers who over-speed will be fined Rs. 1,000-2,000.
- If the underage road offence is caught, registration of the vehicle will be cancelled. The guardian or owner will be held guilty and penalty up to 25,000 along with three-year jail might be sentenced
- Common mistakes like jumping traffic lights, wrong-lane driving and use of phone while driving will be categorized “dangerous driving”.
- A fine of Rs. 10,000 will be imposed if emergency vehicles are not given way. The same amount of fine is designated for driving despite disqualification.
- Driving without a helmet will cost Rs. 1,000 and a three-month suspension of license may get imposed. For driving without insurance, an Rs 2,000 fine is designated.
- Penalty for drink driving will be Rs 10,000 and dangerous driving will now cost Rs 5,000 which is 1,000 presently.
- Traffic violations will be 5 times expensive. People will be fined Rs 500 instead of Rs 100.
- Unauthorized use of vehicles will now cost Rs 5,000. Driving despite disqualification will lead to a fine of Rs 10,000.
- Drivers driving without a license will be fined Rs 5,000.
- Overloading of vehicles will bring in the penalty of Rs 20,000.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com