Leek belongs to the family of garlic and onion. Hailing from the genus Allium, family Amaryllidaceae and subfamily Allioideae, leek also has close vegetable relatives like Kurrat and elephant garlic.
The stalk or stem of leek is edible and is widely used in many delicious recipes.
Here is a list of ingredients needed for making this yummy winter leek & potato soup.
• 50g butter
• 450g white parts of leeks, sliced (keep green top parts for soups)
• 142ml whipping cream
• 125ml full-cream milk
• 450g potatoes peel and cut them into 1cm pieces
• 1 small onion, cut the same size as the potatoes
• 850ml-1.2litres vegetable or chicken stock
• White part of 1 leek
• 1-2 teaspoon of butter
• Finely chopped chives (small onion)
Method or Preparation:
• First melt butter in a saucepan and add pieces, leeks and onions. Toss the pan till they are coated. Add salt for seasoning and freshly ground pepper and again toss.
• Cook for 10 minutes on low flame till the vegetables turn soft but should not be colored.
• Keep the pan uncovered and add 850 ml of vegetable or chicken stock, heat for 5 minutes only or else the soup will lose its aroma and flavor.
• Cool the soup and puree in a blender till you get a smooth paste and season it well.
• Transfer the puree in a pan and add three quarters of cream and all the milk.
• Finish the soup with finely shred leek and add butter. Cook for few minutes and pour the soup in soup bowls. Now drizzle rich cream just before serving and top up with some buttered leek, black pepper and shredded chives.