US has submit formal notice of withdrawal from Paris Climate Pact: Reports
According to reports, The US state Department has officially informed United Nation that it will withdraw from Paris Climate Pact in a document issued on Friday, but it has left the doors open for re –engaging if the terms improved for the United States.
Notably, the State Department said in a press release that the United States would continue to participate in United Nations Climate change meetings during the withdrawal process, which is expected to take at least three years.
President Donald Trump had announced his decision in June this year. He said the accord would have cost America trillions of dollars, killed jobs, and hindered the oil gas, coal and manufacturing industry.
Notably, when Trump visited Paris last month to meet French President Emmanuel Macron, the two leaders discussed deal. But now, it seems that US doesn’t want to be a part of the pact.
President Donald Trump had earlier also indicated that he is open to re-engaging in the Paris Agreement if the US can indentify in terms that are more favorable to it, its businesses, its workers, its people and its taxpayers.
Notably, Donald Trump faced a lot of criticism from Republican US Congressional leaders but numerous business leaders have called the move a blow to international efforts to combat climate change, and a missed opportunity to capture growth in the emerging clean energy industry.
The United States, under former President Barack Obama, had pledged as part of the Paris accord to cut US greenhouse gas emissions by as much as 28 percent till 2025.
Notably, the earliest date for United States to completely withdraw from the pact is November 4 , 2020 and it will be around the next presidential elections.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at