Astonishing health benefits of Green Chillies
Fried roasted or added to different curries, this little spice – green chillies, are not only delicious but also rich in vitamins. It comes with a pack of health benefits. Notably, the health benefits of green chillies are almost unbelievable.
Let us look at some of the benefits this little piece offers:
- Green chillies come with zero calories. In fact, they speed up metabolism as much as 50% for up to three hours after eating.
- Green chillies are loaded with antioxidants, which protect the body against cancer by acting as natural scavengers. Green chillies can also keep prostate problems at bay.
- Green chillies provide a number of beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system. It reduces the likelihood of developing atherosclerosis by reducing blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels and platelet aggregation, as well as increasing the ability to prevent formation of blood clots, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
- Interestingly enough capsaicin, found in green chillies is hot to taste but it helps to lower down the body temperature by stimulating the cooling center of the hypothalamus in the brain. This explains why, even in very hot places like India, green chillies are consumed.
- Capsaicin in green chillies has a stimulating effect on the mucus membranes of the nose and sinuses. Capsaicin stimulates blood flow through the membranes and causes mucus secretion to become thinner. This action makes it beneficial in combating the common cold or sinus infections.
- The heat produced by the chillies, act as an effective pain reliever, as a digestive and anti-ulcer aid. Notably, people with active peptic ulcer may get affected by the so-called “spicy foods”.
- Filled with Vitamin C, green chillies are great for healthy eyes, skin and immune system. Make sure to store the green chillies at a dark cool area because chillies lose their Vitamin C when they are exposed to heat, light and air.