Are you on a spiritual journey, then Sarnath should be at the top of your list
Sarnath is one of the most important Buddhist pilgrimage destinations in India. It is located 12 Km away from the holy city Varanasi. It is the site where Gautam Buddha – the great sage delivered his first sermon after attaining enlightenment. Notably, Sarnath was previously known as Mrigadava –‘Deer Park’.
Well, if you are travelling to all religious places these days like Haridwar, Mathura, and Varanasi, then you should not forget Sarnath.
Here are five secrets of Sarnath, take a look!
- Lord Buddha here delivered his first Sermon after attaining enlightenment in Bodhgaya. He taught his five former companions. This event is known as the “turning of the wheel of the dharma”. This also marks the founding of the monks community.
- Buddha’s fist discourse which was delivered in Sarnath is known in Pali as the the Dhammacakkhapavathana Sutta.
- All the ancient buildings in Sarnath were destroyed by the Turks because Sarnath was sacked by Turkish Muslims in the end of 12th century.
- According to history, the Chinese traveler Hiauen Thsang had mentioned that the Deer park at Sarnath was gifted by the King of Benares of the Jataka, as place where Deer could roam without any fear.
- Sarnath became a major centre of Sammatiya School of Buddhism, one of the Nikaya or Hinayana Schools
What all you can see at Sarnath?
- The Deer Park: It is maintained as an open animal park and it still attracts deer.
- The Bodhi Tree: It was planted by Anagarika Dharmapala which was grown from a cutting of the Bodhi tree at Bodh Gaya.
- Six National Temples: Six national temples have been built by various Asian Communities at Sarnath, including a Tibetan Temple and a Sri Lankan Temple.
- The Ashoka Pillar: The Ashoka Pillar at Sarnath survived the Turkish invasion but was damaged during excavations. The base still stand in its original spot and some interesting carvings.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com