SC to decide fate of Mohammad Shahabuddin’s bail today
Verdict on Shahabuddin’s bail to be out today
SC to decide fate of Mohammad Shahabuddin’s bail today:- The Supreme Court will be pronouncing on Friday its order on appeals that challenge the grant of bail to controversial RJD leader Mohammad Shahabuddin in the Rajiv Roshan murder case.
The apex court bench, which comprised of Justices Amitava Roy and PC Ghose will pass its order after lawyers represent Shahabuddin and others will also wrap up their arguments in the case.
The September 7 order given by the Patna High Court granting bail to Shahabuddin was initially challenged by one Chandrakeshwar Prasad, whose three sons — third one being Rajiv Roshan – was being killed allegedly by Shahabuddin’s henchmen.
The apex court had come down heavily on Bihar government, on Wednesday for not placing facts before the Patna HC which has granted bail to Shahabuddin in this murder case and further asked the state “were you in slumber till he got bail?”
Shahabuddin’s counsel Shekhar Naphade has told the court that although the cognizance of the case was taken on February 25, 2015, he had not yet been served the charge-sheet to date, despite its being a mandatory requirement under the criminal law.
Naphade has told the court; on Thursday that it was the Bihar government that has been delaying the trial, and further shifting Shahabuddin from Siwan to Bhagalpur Central Jail on the date May 18, 2016, was also a ploy to that end.
Counsel Prashant Bhushan, who had appeared for Chandrakeshwar Prasad, said that cognizance of charge-sheet was taken on February 25, 2015, thereafter Shahabuddin has also challenged the order of cognizance.
He moved the court thrice in order to grant bail, but he has never aired the grievance that he had not been given the copy of the charge-sheet, he has pointed out.
Bhushan asked that even if there has already been a delay of nine months, could it serve the basis for grant of bail to a criminal who had been convicted in 10 cases, awarded life imprisonment in two cases, 10-year sentence in one and has been also facing charges under the Arms Act.