Rajya Sabha Voting is underway in Gujarat: Here is all you need to know
Polling for the crucial Rajya Sabha elections in Gujarat began on Tuesday morning. These elections will decide the fate of Congress Chief Sonia Gandhi’s Political Secretary Ahmed Patel and that of BJP Chief Amit Shah and Union Minister Smirti Irani.
Notably, Patel seemed really confident of victory and said, “Numbers will be surprising when the results declared.”
So, are we bring to you fresh developments straight from Gujarat:
- After a gap of almost two decades there is a real competition in Rajya Sabha. It used to be that official nominees would get elected unopposed. This time there four contestants eyeing three Rajya Sabha in Gujarat.
- The winning candidate needs 45 votes for a vict0ry. Notably, this is Patel’s fifth term and he is very confident.
- NCP MLA Kandhal Jadeja on Monday gave some anxious moments to congress by saying that Party High Command has decided to support Balwantsingh Rajput. However, the Gujarat Parivatan is still supporting Congress.
- Banking on Shah, Irani and Rajput, BJP’s state –in –charge Bhuperndra Yadav said all the three candidates will win by a very good margin.
- The Supreme Court has allowed for the None of the above option for the election, but the state Congress has decided to vote for the Party’s
- official candidate, Patel
- Notably, in the 182 –member Gujarat Assembly, the strength of the Congress has gone down to 51 from 57 .
- As per Election Commission Officials, a candidate requires one –fourth of the total number of votes, plus one, to get elected.
According to EC, MLAS have to give their preferential voting indicating first choice, second, third, fourth ( as per number of candidates) for even they can choose NOTA.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at