How to cook Dal Baati at home like a Pro?
Foodies if you are crazy for Rajasthan’s special dish Dal baati, then no need to go to Rajasthan just get it’s taste at your own place. Daal baati is a typical Rajasthani cuisine that is served with churma, garlic chutney, and chapatis. A Rajasthani thali is incomplete without this dish. For this dish, the daal is prepared with mixed lentils and the baati are like bread which is made in oven or tandoor.
The traditional Rajasthani Dal baati recipe is a very long process and the baati is baked in tandoor which has a tempting aroma which indulges you in eating more.
How much time is required?
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1hour
- Total time: 1hour 20 minutes
• Wheat flour- 1 1/2 bowl (small)
• Water- 4 cups
• Salt- according to taste
• Fresh cream(malai)- 1/2 bowl (small)
• Green moong dal- 1 bowl (small)
• Chana dal- 1/2 bowl(small)
• Turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon
• Ghee- 2 tablespoons
• Hing- a dash
• Cumin seeds (jeera)- 1 teaspoon
• Red chilli powder- 2 teaspoon
• Garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
• Ginger paste- 1 teaspoon
• Carom seeds- 1 1/2 teaspoon
How to prepare it?
• In a medium size bowl, take wheat flour, salt, carom seeds and cream and mix them well. Mix all of them together.
• Add 1/2 cup of water to the flour and form dough.
• Now, divide the flour into five and seven portions and make even sized balls (baati). It should be medium sized
• After that pre-heat, your oven at 165 degrees for 2 minutes and later place you baatis for 10-15 minutes.
• In the meantime, take green moong dal and chana dal in the cooker and add 3 cups of water with turmeric and salt and cook them upto 3 whistles.
• Take the baatis out of the oven and flip them to another side and bake them for another 10 minutes.
• Once the cooker cools down, add 1/2 glass of water to it and blend it.
• Heat the pan and pour 1 tablespoons of ghee to it and add hing, cumin seeds, garlic paste, ginger paste and chilli powder and stir.
• Add the cooked dal in the pan and immediately close the lid and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
• And finally, sprinkle some ghee on top of the dal and serve it with baati.
• Your dal baati is ready to be served.
What you are waiting for? Try this delicious dish right now!
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at