10 interesting facts about 14th President of India
Ram Nath Kovind is India’s 14th President. He is a National Democratic Alliance’s candidate and he was former Governor of Bihar. He got 65% vote which is 7,02,044 out of 10,98,882. After defeating Meira Kumar, Kovind is now India’s second Dalit President after KR Narayan.
The counting of ballot paper started at 11am today. The results for the race to the Rashtrapati Bhavan was officially announced at 4pm. Thirty two polling stations were set up in various states. A total of 4,896 MLAs and MPs were in the electoral college. The counting took place under the supervision of the Lok Sabha Secretary general Anoop Mishra. The counting took place in eight rounds and on four separate tablets.
Pranab Mukherjee’s term will come to an end on 24th July and the new president will take an oath next day in the president’s house. BJP lead NDA had a majority in the electoral college. The BJP claimed earlier that Kovind had the support of around 40 political parties, which was equal to 70% share of the electoral college.
Now, let’s look at 10 interesting facts about Kovind:
- He was born on 1st october, 1945. In the year, we attained independence from British rule.
- He was born and raised in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- His father was a farmer in UP.
- He served as the personal assistant of then Prime Minister of India Morarji Desai in 1977.
- He donated his ancestral home to RSS which was situated in Derapur.
- Kovind is married to Savita Kovnid and they have a son named Prashant Kumar and daughter named Swati.
- He was a Board member in Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University.
- He joined BJP in 1991.
- He practiced as an Advocate in High court and Supreme court for 13 years before joining politics.
- He holds a LLB and Bachelor’s degree.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at