Tired of watching your local Ram Lila? Here’s a list of Delhi Ram Lila which you must attend
Watching Ram Lila is fun and it never loses its charm as one never gets tired watching the towering effigies of Ravana, Meghnad, and Kumbkharan being burned. There’s something magical about the aura of Ram Lila which draws people from all walks of life to it without fail. One can smell mouth-watering delicacies mixed with barood coming out of freshly lit effigies all at the same time and still never get tired of it. So as we approach the D-Day, here’s a compiled list of Ram Lila which you definitely wouldn’t want to miss out on. Read on:
Ram Lila Maidan : One of the oldest venue where Ravan Dahan takes place. Ram Lila Maidan is l’affair grandeur. It’s one of the best experiences you’ll ever have since it’s exactly the same show which the Mughal Emperors once witnessed. The most interesting part of this Ram Lila is that it begins with a parade of actors’ room the Ram Leela through the streets of Old Delhi and end up at the RamlilaMaidan where the effigies of Ravana, Meghnad, and Kumbhakaran are set alight by firecrackers.
- Where:Ram Lila Maidan, Asaf Ali Road
- Organized By:Shri Ram Lila Committee
- Known For:Dates back to the time of Bahadur Shah Zafar, Costume Performance
- Time: 6 pm onwards
Ram Lila at Red Fort Lawns : Witness the most dramatic Ram Lila in town with latest technologies to attract ayoung crowd. The mela organized here offers a variety of food stalls – a delight for food lovers along with amusement rides stationed for the children and vibrant shops selling bangles, clothes and other stuff.
- Where:Red Fort Lawns
- Organized By:Nav Shree DharmikLeela Committee
- Known For:The food-stalls, chaat bazaar, lightening performances and the latest technology
- Time:7:30 pm
Subhash Maidan :
Located opposite the Old Lajpat Rai Market near the Red Fort, it’s known for the elaborate depiction of Hanuman, Lord Ram, and Ravana. Known for hosting eminent politicians and foreign dignitaries, the street food offered here is prepared by top chefs of ChandniChowk. The actors are flown in from Muradabad and Bareilly, especially for the show.
- Where:SubhashMaidan/ Parade Ground
- Organized By:Shree DharmikLeela Committee
- Known For:Traditional Actors and Street Food
- Time:8 pm
Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra : The Kala Kendra is a renowned cultural institute which has been performing Kathak based Ramlila every year since 1957. The Ramlila here is enacted by professional artisans with a dash of contemporary choreography and art. They also project English translations of the lines which the actors project and dance drama which focuses on the travails that affect modern day women.
- Where:ShriramBhartiya Kala Kendra Theatre Lawns, 1 Copernicus Marg
- Organized By:ShriramBhartiya Kala Kendra
- Known For:Contemporary choreography
- Time:6:30 pm
- Paid Entry:Tickets ranging from Rs.100 to Rs.3000.
LalQuilaMaidan :The most hip and funky Ram Lila in town organized by the Luv Kush Committee adds a touch of Bollywood to the stage. The high-tech stunts and special effects add to the festival bling.
- Where:LalQila, ChandniChowk, New Delhi
- Organized By:Luv Kush Committee
- Known For:Bollywood Touch
- Time:7 pm
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com