The 16thLok Sabha of India came into being on 26th May 2014 with the oath taking ceremony of the 15th Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
NarendraModi besides being the Prime Minister of the country will also be handling the Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions as well as the Department of atomic energy, Department of Space and Ministry of Planning.
While Rajnath Singh will be taking care of the Home Affairs of the country, Sushma Swaraj will be looking after the External and Overseas Indian Affairs.
Arun Jaitley has been appointed as the new Finance Minister of the country, who will also be serving as the Interim Defence Minister.
• Nitin Gadkari is the new Road transport and Highways shipping minister.
• D V Sadananda Gowda will be taking charge as the new Railway minister.
• M Venkaiah Naidu will be taking care of the Urban Development Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation ministry.
While Minority Affairs is under Dr Najma A Heptulla, the Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejunevation are under Uma Bharati.
While the Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Drinking water and Sanitation is with Gopinath Munde; Ram Vilas Paswan will be holding the Consumer Affairs and the Food and Public Distribution Department.
Other ministries include:
• Kalraj Mishra: Micro, Small and Medium enterprises
• Maneka Gandhi: Woman & Child Development
• Anath Kumar: Chemicals & Fertilizers
• Ravi Shankar Prasad: Communication and Information Technology, Law and Justice.
• Ashok Gajapathi Raju Pusapati: Civil aviation minister
• Anant Geete: Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises
• Harsimrat Kaur Badal: Food Processing Industries.
The new government does not have any representation from several states like West Bengal, Kerala, Uttrakhand, and Himachal Pradesh.
Top leaders like Sarbanada Sonowal of Assam and Kiren Rijiju of Arunachal Pradesh are the only two representing from the seven north-eastern states.
Incidentally, both the youngest and the oldest member are women. There are total seven women ministers including six with a Cabinet rank in the forty-five member Council of Ministers headed by the Prime Minister.
• Photo Courtesy : http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/wp-content/uploads/Narendra-Modis-Cabinet.jpg
• Photo Courtesy : http://www.swadeshnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Image182.jpg
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com