Mumbai finally gets its long-awaited AC trains: Here are few things to know
Mumbai has finally got its long-awaited AC locals. Now, people can board the new locals for a chilled ride to work. According to reports, in its maiden journey, the AC coaches will ferry passengers from Churchgate to Borivali for the first week, and from Churchgate to Virar from the next. The services of the local are being rolled out today on a trial basis. It will become fully operational from January 1, 2018.
According to an official statement, the trains will run on the Borivali – Churchgate section of the Mumbai suburban under Western Railway.
Here are few important details that you need to know
- Notably, the AC trains will replace 12 existing non –AC services in up and six in down direction.
- These trains will remain operational only during the weekdays and they won’t operate on Saturdays and Sundays to keep them free for maintenance purposes.
- Eight of the services will run as fast locals between Churchgate and Borivali, stopping only at major stations such as Mumbai Central, Dadar, Bandra, Andheri, Borivali, and Vasai Road in both directions.
- Three fast services will run between Churchgate and Borivali stopping at Mumbai Central, Dadar, Bandra, and Andheri stations in both directions.
- The fare of the single journey in AC locals would be 1.3 times of the base fare of the existing journey by first class.
- However, passengers would be charged 1.2 times the ticket cost in the initial six months.
- Unlike regular local trains, the AC service will have a special weekly and fortnightly season ticket.
- People of Mumbai have already got New Year Present. The launch of AC locals will definitely make people’s journey blissful.