You love vegetables and fruits but don’t know how to keep them fresh for long; well here are some useful tips.
You can keep them fresh and healthy as long as possible and do not end up wasting food; here is the right way to store them.
• Bananas have a colorless gas-ethylene that expedites the ripening process.
• If you have a bunch of banana and wish to keep it for few days, make sure you do not keep ripe and unripe ones together as this speeds the process of ripening and the entire bunch becomes ripe.
• While storing vegetables such as kale or broccoli, remove the rubber bands and the poly-carry bag. Trim the leafy tips and keep them in bags that have holes in it to allow air to pass through.
• You can store the flowers in the same way. Keep the storage bag loosely packed or else they will get spoiled.
• Never wash mushrooms and herbs while storing. Wash them before cooking and add half a cup of apple cider vinegar to the bowl containing water. Rinse them with this mixture. Even soft fruits like raspberry can also be cleaned in the same way.
• Another great tip to keep fruits fresh for long is to cut them in pieces and make fruit salad and store as such.
• Add a little honey or yoghurt and it becomes a healthy option to sugary desserts.
• Another important tip to avoid wasting vegetables is to plan you week’s meal before kicking off with buying them in the supermarket. This will save you from buying additional vegetables. Isn’t it a great tip?