Google Doodle is celebrating Gauhar Jaan’s Birthday
Google is today celebrating the 145th birthday of legendary dancer and singer Gauhar Jaan with a doodle. Gauhar was among the first performers to record music 78 rpm records in the country. Notably, the record was released by Gramophone Company of India.
She was born on June 26 in 1873, and her birth name was Angelia Yeoward. Gauhar’s father was Armenian and her mother Victoria Hemmings was an Indian by birth.
Here are few interesting facts you need to know about this legendary dancer and singer:
- After her parents’ divorce, Victoria moved to Benaras with a Muslim nobleman and Angelia accompanied her. Both mother and daughter converted to Islam after reaching Benaras.
- Victoria changed her name to Malka Jaan and Angelia’s name was changed to Gauhar Jaan
- Gauhar began to train as a classical musician in Calcutta. Soon, she developed a huge fan following
- Her first performance was in Courts in 1887, in what today is called Bihar
- In 1896, she started traveling all across the country for her performances. She was even invited to perform at King George V coordination in Delhi
- She was also noted for her Bhajan performances. Some of her famous songs are : Ras ke bhare tore naina mere dard –e –jigar
- She even went to Mysore on the invitation of Krishna Raja Wadiyar. There he survived only for 18 months there, dying at the age of 56 on January 17, 1930.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at