Pros and cons of using toothpaste on acne
Probably, you all know that Toothpaste has been a popular home remedy for curing pimples. We all have experienced acne, a skin condition caused by clogged pores from bacteria, dead skin cells, and oily one. But all we want to know is – Does toothpaste really helps to get rid of pimples? Why it has become such a well- known remedy for skin problem? Well, Toothpaste, a common household item is also an effective home remedy for acne. But before, attempting to use toothpaste you should consider the pros and cons of this possible remedy.
- It kills Bacteria: Toothpaste is used by a lot of people regarding pimple’s remedy because of its component ‘Triclosan’. It is an antibacterial component which is probably found in such products like toothpaste, soap, body wash and deodorants. So if you apply toothpaste on your pimples, it somehow kills the bacteria and the growth of the pimple.
- Removes the excess Oil: A lot of toothpastes have calcium carbonate that is known to dry the oil, hence drying the blemishes. Calcium carbonate helps in removing excess oil from the skin, cleanse the pores and helps in treating the pimple.
- Reduce the Swelling: Toothpaste has its cooling compound which is used for reducing swelling. You can use toothpaste only when you have swelling because of acne breakouts. If you are going to apply it on your swelled area, then just leave it for a while, and you can notice a considerable changes and reduction too.
- Increase the Inflammation: Somehow, toothpaste is used for reduce the inflammation, but it has some side effects as well. Toothpaste is formulated for our healthy teeth, certainly not for our skin. While it has the ingredients that can help to fight the symptoms of acne, it might do more harm than good. Consequently, it may result in reddening of your skin.
- Leave your skin Dry: Usually pimples occurred due to the excess accumulation of oil in the skin, so it might be the good option if you have the oily one. But a lot of toothpastes have so many types of ingredients like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and triclosan- they all have the drying agents but together it can harm your skin.
- Not an effective for all kind of pimples: There are some toothpastes and that have some specific ingredients that kills the bacteria and does faster work on your pimples. Whatever, you can’t completely rely on them. Calcium carbonate dries the blemishes; but it can’t remove them exactly. So your pimple could come again to bother you.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at