Events that occurred!
Donald Trump and Kim Jong unmet and it was a moment entire world was waiting for. Finally, the two leaders after multiple negotiations met. With a handshake that lasted for about 13 seconds, North Korea’s Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump today scripted history during the first-ever and much-awaited meeting between the two countries. After months of negotiations, both the leaders met for a one-on-one interaction at the Capella Hotel, a secluded luxury resort on Singapore’s Sentosa Island. As the two flags hung side-by-side in the backdrop for the first time ever, both Kim and Trump expressed hope that their summit would be fruitful.
Here, are the details of the meeting that you can catch here!
1. Kim Jong-un arrived at the venue earlier than US President Donald Trump. According to North Korean media, the North Korean culture suggests the younger ones should arrive earlier as a mark of respect. US President Donald Trump arrived at the venue just 60 seconds before the summit was to begin.
2. With the world watching them keenly, both Trump and Kim looked serious. The two leaders walked each other and shared a handshake with the flags of the two countries in the backdrop. Trump grasped Kim’s right arm as they shook, and then, later, took hold of Kim’s left arm as they turned to face the cameras and the world, both of them gave a warm smile to media.
3.“Nice to meet you, Mr President,” were Kim’s first words, to which Trump responded, “It’s my honour and we will have a terrific relationship, I have no doubt.” Donald Trump then guided Kim Jong-un to the library where the one-on-one meeting was to take place. Both the leaders were looking excited.
4. After an interaction that lasted for over 40 minutes, Trump and Kim walking side-by-side through the collonaded hotel before re-entering the meeting room, where they were joined by their most senior officials.
5.”I think the entire world is watching this moment. Many people in the world will think of this as a scene from a fantasy…science fiction movie,” Kim Jong-un was heard telling Donald Trump. “We overcame all kinds of scepticism and speculations about this summit and I believe that this is good for the peace,” he said. “I believe this is a good prelude for peace.” Well, people from the two countries are expecting the peace too.
6.US President Donald Trump also suggested that he had a fruitful interaction with the North Korean leader. Adding that meet was “very, very, very good,” Trump said both the countries have an “excellent relationship.” He also predicted that the Kim Jong and he “will solve a big problem, a big dilemma.” Trump was joined by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, National Security Adviser John Bolton, and John Kelly, White House Chief of Staff, for the expanded talks, while Kim’s team included former military intelligence chief Kim Yong Chol, foreign minister Ri Yong Ho and Ri Su Yong, vice chairman of the ruling Workers’ Party. Both the countries are hoping for peaceful Relationship.
7. After the bilateral talks, the two leaders took a small stroll. Appearing in front of the media after the bilateral talks with North Korean leader, Donald Trump said that the meeting with Kim Jong-un was ‘better than anybody could have expected.’ He also hinted at a ‘signing’ during his walk with Kim, according to the reports.
8. While the details of the talks are not yet disclosed, reports suggest the two leaders are likely to leave Singapore tonight. Kim is likely to leave this afternoon while Trump will depart tonight. Both leaders had initially planned to leave the country on Wednesday.