Who was Novelist Kuvempu? Few things you need to know about him
Google is paying tribute to renowned Kannada poet and author Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa, also popularly known as Kuvempu, on his 113th birth anniversary with a quirky doodle.
Here are few things you need to know about him
1. He was born in Shimoga district of Karnataka on this day in 1904.
2. Kuvempu is considered one of the greatest Kannada writers of his time.
3. He died in Mysore on November 11, 1994.
4. Most of his works are written in Kannada. He founded an organisation at Mysore university to research the Kannada langauge which has been named after him “Kuvempu Institute of Kannada Studies.”
5. Kuvempu’s writings reflected his resentment towards casteism, meaningless religious rituals. He was awarded the Jnanpith award for his version of the epic Ramayana called ‘Sri Ramayana Darshanam’.
Today’s Google Doodle shows Kuvempu sitting on a rock surrounded by nature and he is busy in writing.