Important things you need to know about Sitara Devi!
Google is celebrating birthday of Sitara Devi with a Doodle. Sitara Devi was a legendary Kathak dancer. She was born on November 8, 1920. Sitara Devi has been described as Nritya Samragirni by Rabindranath Tagore when she was just 16 years old.
Here are few interesting facts about the legendary dancer:
- She was born in Kolkata but her family was originally from Varanasi. Her father was also a Kathak dancer and a scholar of Sanskrit
- Sukhdev Maharaj, Sitara Devi’s father wanted his children to learn dancer but he faced a lot of criticism from the people of his community.
- Sitara Devi started learning Kathak at a very young age and by the time she was ten, she was giving solo performances.
- When was she 12, Sitara Devi was selected by filmmaker and dance director Niranjan Sharma for Hindi films, and then she went on to do films like Nagina 1951, Roti, and Anjali .
- She blended the elements of two schools of Kathak- One which was developed In Varansi and one from Lucknow.
- She had performed all over India and aboard, including prestigious venues like Royal Albert Hall, London and the Carnegie Hall, New York.
- She got married twice and both of her marriages ended bitterly.
- In 2002 When Sitara Devi was awarded Padma Bhushan she turned it down saying, “it’s my insult not an honour.”
- She has trained so many actresses of B- Town and here is the list. Some of her famous students were Madhubala, Mala Sinha, Rekha, and so many more. She wanted to set up a Kathak Academy in Mumbai, but she got no land from government in Mumbai.
- She has facilitated with so many awards, including Padma Shree and Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
- The legendary dancer passed away on November 25, 2014.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com