Begum Akhtar’s 103rd Birth Anniversary: Few Things You Should Know About Her Life!
Akhtari Bai Faizabadi aka Begum Akhtar was a well known Indian singer of Dadra, Ghazal and Thumri. Padma shree, Padma Bhushan and Sangeet Natak Akademi award winner also has the title of Mallika-e-Ghazal(Queen of Ghazals).
Akhtar was born in Faizabad district to Asghar Hussain and Mushtari(Hussain’s second wife).Akhtar had an inclination towards music from early age. She was captivated by the music of Chandra Bai.
She gave her first performance at the age of 15 and was even appreciated by Sarojini Naidu who was a famous poet and freedom fighter of that time. She had even worked in few films also because of her good appearance and interest in cinema.
Some Unknown Facts About Begum Akhtar:
- Megaphone Record company was the first one who released Begum’s first music disc.
- Begum Akhtar was previously known as Akhtari bai but after her marriage with the barrister of Lucknow, She came to be known as Begum Akhtar.
- She has also sang for All India Radio and known for her Bengali timeless classic- ‘Jochona Koreche Aari’.
- She also had the title of the Nightingale of India.
- The legendary singer passed away on October 30, 1974 in Ahmedabad.
Music and Mushairaes are still a part of one’s life and believe it or not but one can’tfeel the bliss without music. Such Legendary singers and artists do make us believe that they are still alive with their evergreen voices and songs.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org