Google celebrates birthday of Lousia May Alcott, all you need to know
Google is today celebrating the birthday of one of the most prominent female authors of 19th century, Lousia May Alcott. Google has changed the doodle and characters of her famous novel Little Women are being displayed. Today is the birthday of Lousia May Alcott and here is all you should know about her.
Notably, Little women was Alcott’s first biggest success. Alcott was born 184 years ago. Women in 19th century were not so much influential, but Lousia Alcott was one the best- known authors of that time, who fought against slavery. She is best known for her novel Little Women, the iconic children’s book that inspired millions. Little women was about her own life and about her growing years with her sisters. It was written in two parts.
Who was she?
Alcott was born in year 1832. She was the second- eldest of four girls. Her father, who embraced unconventional teachings, moved the family to Boston. She grew up among intellectuals and that promoted goodness over rationality.
However, due to the financial struggles Alcott was forced to take various jobs and that persuaded her to write her phenomenal novel, Little Women.
Here are five interesting facts about Lousia May Alcott
- Her biggest success was Little Women , a semi- autobiographical account of her life
- Little women remained children’s classic for almost 150 years and it has adapted for screen and stage multiple times
- Unlike her characters in her books, Alcott never got married, saying that she never fell in love with any man
- She died at the age of 55 due to a major stroke
- She served as a volunteer in civil war. She also became the first woman to vote in Concord, Massachusetts