FactRams about Raja Mohan Roy, the man who abolished Sati Partha
Today, Google Doodle is celebrating the 246th birth anniversary of Raja Ram Mohan Roy. He was a social reformer and he did a lot of hard work to remove social evils from the society. Roy was born on May 22, 1772, in Bengal. He was the founder of the Brahma Sabha in 1828, which further gave birth to Brahma Samaj. It was an influential social reform movement.
Raja Ram Roy had a very influential personality. He influenced fields of politics, religion and public administration.
Here are few interesting facts that you should know about him:
1. Raja Ram Mohan Roy was against polygamy and he also protested against the state of widows in our country.
2. He thoroughly believed that education played an important role in enlightening people about their rights.
3. Roy actively campaigned for women’s rights at the time when women barely had any rights.
4. He was the one who protested against Sati Pratha and finally it was abolished from our society. It was ended in the year 1829.
5. In 1822, he founded a school on English Education. He had also studied Hindu Philosophy in Varanasi.
6. Roy had started the Brahmo Samaj movement along with Dwarkanath Tagore, Rabindranath Tagore’s father, to fight against the social evils of Indian society.
7.He had expertise in Bangla, Persian, Arabic and Sanskrit
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at