Here are few interesting facts about Mirza Ghalib that you should know
Mirza Ghalib was the last great poet of Mughal Empire. Mirza Ghalib is a name defines articulacy and cadence. He belongs to a timeless league that has ruled generation, and still his work rules the world. Some documented in history, some collected from the descriptions given by his biographers. Here are a few interesting facts about Mirza Ghalib you need to know.
- He was born as Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan while Ghalib was his pet name which was adopted later
- Ghalib in Urdu means dominant, victor, conqueror
- Ghalib got married to Umrao Begum at a very young age. After then he moved to Delhi where he lived till his death.
- Notably, he had seven children with Umrao Begum but none of them survived
- He never worked to earn the livelihood. In fact, he lived on the royal patronage of Mughal Emperors or on the generosity of his friends
- He wrote his first poem at the age of 11, he was well versed with the languages including Persian, Urdu and Turkish
- He had his haveli in Chandini Chowk, he breathed his last in the famous haveli.
- The 300-year- old has been turned into Ghalib Memorial
- It is believed that this haveli was presented to the poet by a hakim who was his big fan
- Notably, the poet wrote some of his finest ghazals at this haveli only
- Mirza Ghalib was appointed as a poet tutor to the royal family
- Bahadur Shah Zafar II gave the title of Dabir- Ul- Mulk . Mirza Nosha is another title received from the Emperor and thus he added Mirza in his name
He was a great poet and his Ghazals are so refreshing and young that people can’t get over it.
“ ishq par zor nahin, hai yeh woh aatish ghalib jo lagaaye na lage, bujhaye na bane”