Do you know why this festival is celebrated?
Festive season is on and we just can’t get over beautiful lights, delicious food, and new clothes everywhere. Dussehra is almost over and the festival of lights- Diwali is just upon us. Interestingly, not all people know that the festival of Diwali is actually a 5-day long celebration which begins with Dhanteras which is also known as Dhanalakshmi Pooja. We all are aware of the festival of lights Diwali but it seems maximum a lot of us don’t know about Dhanteras.
Related : Dhanteras: Puja Vidhi and Significance
Yes, Dhanteras is an important festival which has a cultural and traditional significance in the Hindu calendar. Today, we will tell you the essence of celebrating this day.
What is Dhanteras?
The word Dhana means wealth and Teras means 13th day as per Hindu calendar. Hence, Dhanteras is celebrated on the thirteenth lunar day of Krishna Paksha (dark fortnight) in the Hindu calendar month of Aaswayuja in the Amaavasyanta Luni-Solar Calendar. On Dhanteras, Lakshmi – the Goddess of wealth – is worshiped to provide prosperity and well-being. Dhanteras also holds special significance for the business community as Lord Kubera, the God of assets and wealth is also worshiped on this day.
How it is celebrated?
On Dhanteras people generally repair and decorate their houses. They make Rangolis, light clay diyas and pray to Goddess Lakshmi and God Kuber. They also stick readymade footprints of the Goddess Lakshmi to come wealth and prosperity to their home. Additionally, on Dhanteras people buy gold or silver jewelry or utensils. It is believed that bringing new things at home is the sign of Lakshmi coming home whole year. Many wear new clothes and wear jewelry as they light the first lamp of Diwali while some engage in a game of gambling.
Here are few things you can buy this Dhanteras
1. Gold or silver: People mostly buy gold or silver ornaments or coins on Dhanteras as the day is considered auspicious for such purchases. People believe that good luck and fortune will smile upon them if they buy even a small quantity of the precious metal.
2. Automobile: If you are keen on adding a vehicle in the house, then Dhanteras is the right day for making the purchase as it promises continued prosperity. Heavy discounts or attractive offers are given by automobile companies on the eve of Dhanteras.
3. Utensils: The cheapest thing you can buy. On Diwali, people mostly use new utensils for kitchen which they buy well in advance on Dhanteras. Buying utensils on the day is significant as it brings prosperity in abundance in the house. Markets are stuffed with lustrous kitchen items on Dhanteras.
4. Electrical appliances: If you are looking forward to adding any electrical appliance in the house, then Dhanteras is the ideal day for bringing them home along with incessant affluence. Special and heavy discounts are offered by companies on washing machines, microwaves, televisions and other electrical appliances during the entire week of Dhanteras.
5. Clothes: On Dhanteras, one should buy and adorn themselves in new clothes. Goddess Laxmi often loves to visit houses that boast a warm and welcoming ambiance.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com