Our very own Desi girl turns a year older
Priyanka Chopra was born on 18 July 1982 in Bihar (Jamshedpur), (but now in Jharkhand), to Ashok and Madhu Chopra, both physicians in the Indian Army. She started her education at La Martinière Girls College in Lucknow as a resident student; a short stay at Maria Goretti College in Bareilly prepared her for further studies in the USA.
Having completed tenth grade in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, she decided to become a software engineer or a criminal psychologist. One of India’s highest-paid and most popular celebrities, Chopra has received numerous awards, including a National Film Award and five Filmfare Awards. In 2016, the Government of India honored her with the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award, and Time magazine has given her place in the list of top 100 famous people.
- Winner of the Miss India and Miss World beauty pageants in 2000. When she became Miss World, she used to sleep with her crown, so that none could steal from her “The Crown of Miss World.”
- The first film, she ever signed, was titled “Good Night Princess”, directed by actor/director Atlee Brar. It was based on the life of Priyanka Gandhi and it was a Hindi/English film. Her co stars were Pooja Batra and Rahul Dev. The film was finally shelved due to the producers not having any funds to complete the film.
- Priyanka Chopra’s Bollywood debut in The Hero: Love Story of a Spy (2003). After it, she played the leading lady in the box-office hits Andaaz (2003) and Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004).
- She received critical acclaim for her breakout role in the 2004 thriller movie Aitraaz. In 2006, Chopra established herself as a leading actress in Indian cinema with starring roles in the top-grossing productions Krrish and Don.
- In 2006, a toy company in England created a fashion doll based on Priyanka Chopra’s name and image.
- Priyanka Chopra gained lots of success for playing a troubled model role in the movie Fashion (2008), which won her the Film fare and National Film Award for Best Actress.
- In 2015, she starred as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller series which was named Quantico, becoming the first South Asian to headline an American network series.
- Priyanka Chopra is also noted for her philanthropic work. She has worked with UNICEF for the last ten years and she was appointed as the national and global UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Child Rights in 2010 and 2016 respectively.
- She usually promotes various cases such as related to environment, health and education, and women’s rights and about gender equality and feminism.
- In 2017, Chopra made her Hollywood live-action film debut by playing the antagonist Victoria Leeds in Seth Gordon’s action comedy Baywatch opposite Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron.
Priyanka Chopra doesn’t come from a film background. But she has learned everything about films or film-making. She has a craze to know everything about her profession. People usually think that film stars lifestyle is so easy.
But no one sees the hard work that goes into it. After a long journey, she has on the stage of her life where she learnt to carry herself with confidence that’s how she makes the best impression on people. Now, she educates others. But in case, she gets pissed off, she educates them in a sassy way. There’s still a long way to get married but right now she only wants to concentrate on her career.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at