Day of Lord Shiva and his beloved wife: All you need to know about Mahashivrartri!
Finally, the day is here when all the Shiva temples and Shiva Lings are draining milk and all female devotees can be seen fasting all day long. Yes, you got that right! We are talking about the Hindu festival Shivratri, when women fast and pray for their husband’s well being and longevity. But Shiva has always been more than just a husband, he has been a rebel, a charmer, and sometimes a masculine looking gullible dude. Lord Shiva was not only a husband but he was the one who became friend and guider to his wife. Indian women fast on this day, so that they can see the blessing from Lord Shiva and have the best version of a husband.
Here, are few facts about this day you should know:
1. Did Ganga love Shiva? :May scriptures say that she did but Shiva did not accept her proposal? Later, when Bhagirath asked Ganga to descend on Earth, she wanted to take revenge and sweep Shiva off his feet. Shiva, aware of her intentions, tied her in his Jata (hair).
It is even said that Parvati was jealous of Ganga, she even had fights with Shiva for keeping Ganga tied up in his hair.
2. Marijuana, much?: This might interest you a lot! Shiva was a fan of Marijuana. It won’t be wrong to say that he was indeed a man of Trance!
3. Easy to please, Bhole-Nath?: Yes, he is very pleasing God and easily gets impressed with his followers. If you wondering from where he got that name? That’s because he had a hard time saying no and was easily pleased by his followers.
4. Shiv Ling!:The sexual symbol that represents Shiva’s penis. It’s actually his penis. It is advised that girls should not touch it.
5. Bhooteshwara: Many say Shiva had friends from all races. He spent his time in crematoriums and was quite pally with ghosts too and hence, he was named, Bhooteshwara. King Daksha, the father of Sati, had a hard time accepting Shiva after knowing his friends’ circle.
Also Read:Believe In The Process: Walk With God And You Will Never Walk Alone
6. He dances when he gets pissed!: That is what we do when we are pissed, right? We dance, sing or box it out. Tandav was his creative outlet when he got brooding over something.
7. Plastic Surgeon: If you do not believe in myths, I will give you a logical explanation for Shiva being a surgeon. Remember the time when he had cut Ganesha’s sweet handsome face and replaced it with that of an elephant? Yes, he did a face transplant.
8. Neelkanthan: Shiva drank the poison that was meant to destroy every human being on earth. So he is a brave-heart drank all of it. The poison is symbolic of negative energies in real life; one should neither publicize negativity nor suppress it. One should modify and mold it for better.
9. Did Shiva burn the Indian Cupid? So sad!:Yes, Shiva is believed to have burnt Kamadeva, the Hindu god of love to ashes. Kamadeva can also be called our Indian Cupid!
10. Ardh-nareshwar– Half man, half woman!:Shiva is also called Ardh-nareshwar when he becomes Half man and Half woman. All those, who look down upon transgenders, this is one big news for you! Being a transgender is not being evil; it is rather a divine form – Unification of a man and woman.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org