Here are some latest careers and Job Options in New Media
The trends are changing in the field of journalism and there is no turning back- we are already in the age of ‘New Media Journalism’. And with the changing trends in the field of mass communication, role of a journalist has also changed. Today, anyone with a smartphone can feed news to masses. Online newspapers, web portals, social media postings are taking the world by storm. So, if you are also one of them, who is planning to flourish his/ her career in the field of journalism, you can opt a career in New Media. Here, are some latest careers and Job Options in the field of New Media.
Understanding New Media
Related: Exploring Career Options After 12th
New Media is not a new term . It has been around there since the 1970’s, but its definition is continuously changing. Currently, it refers to emerging technologies including tablets, smartphones, mobile apps and social media posting. New Media is different from print and electronic media as it has the potential of reaching larger audiences in a shorter period of time. Currently, the craze of online media has really increased in the country. Today, employers want smart people, who have good command over language and can do crisp writing.
What all skills do you require to be a journalist of New Media?
Being a journalist means doing interviews, writing stories, and being on field. Your role wouldn’t change in New Media platform, but you need to become smarter to catch up with the fast working style of social media.
- You need to have a good command over the language
- You should know how to short and crisp
- You should be quick grasper and should be a tech savvy person
What all jobs you can get?
- Copy Editor : You will get the feed from the original source and you just need to correct and upload it
- Reporter : The independent portals do not get the feed so they always require reporters to get the real coverage
- You can work at desk: Online portals also have desk and field work available. So if you are good at editing you can work at desk
Know the ‘Kiss’ formula
Kiss stands from Keep it short and simple, which means you should follow this formula to make your copy more readable and presentable.
Expected growth in the industry
According to a report, the digital media industry is expected to grow 33.5 percent by 2020 whereas electronic, radio and advertisement growth rate is expected to grow 8.6 percent, 15 percent, and 16.9 percent respectively.
Courses and Colleges available
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication
- PG Diploma in Broadcast Journalism
- PG Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- MA in Journalism
- Journalism and Public Journalism
Colleges to go for
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi : WEBSITE- iimc.nic.in
- Mass Media Research Centre Jamia Millia Islamia : Website –www.mcu.ac.in
- Indira Gandhi National Open University( Ignou) : Website – ignou.ac.in
Attractive Salary Packages
Journalism is one such platform where people do not used to get handsome packages, but with the changing time now one can earn good in this field. One can easily draw packages of 20k- 30 k in the New Media sector.
So now do you want more reasons to opt for mass communication? Working in right direction with all your efforts can make you a great journalist.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at