Foundation day of Congress: Congress turns 131
Yes, today Congress turns 131 and it’s a cebration time for party members. India’s oldest political party, the Indian National Congress was founded on December 28 in 1885.
Oldest party was formed by the members of elite class such as Allan Octavian Hume, a prominent member of the Theosophical Society, Dadabhai Naoroji and Dinshaw Wacha.First Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru was too from the Congress.
Today on India’s National Congress Party’s birth anniversary we are going to mention some facts about the party:
1. Congress party was formed in a meeting. In December 1884, Allan Octavian Hume presided over a private meeting with 17 men after a Theosophical convention in Madras.
The idea of forming the Indian National Congress was conceived in this meeting. Then only India gots it’s oldest party.
2. After India got independence all the intellectuals joined the congress party.
At the time of foundation, the party’s objective was to obtain a greater participation for educated Indians in the government and to create a forum where political dialogues among educated Indians and the British Raj could be arranged.
3. The first meeting of Congress was scheduled to take place at Pune. However, due to a cholera outbreak, the event was shifted to Mumbai.Hume had to get the approval of the then Viceroy Lord Duffrin to hold the meeting.
4. First meeting includes 72 delegates.Womesh Chandra Bonnerjee also known as Umesh Chandra Banerjee was elected as the first president of the first meeting of the Congress.
5. Until 1905, the Congress did not have much public support. As it was new and people were not trusting it. After Lord Curzon’s declaration of the Partition of Bengal, senior Congress leaders Surendranath Banerjea and Sir Henry Cotton broke the political barriers and made the party instrumental in the Swadeshi movement.
6. When Mahatma Gandhi came back from the South Africa in 1915, the Congress elected him as the president. By the end of the First World War in 1919, Gandhi became the spiritual leader and icon of the party.
7. The Congress party played a crucial role in the Indian freedom movement. With over 15 million members and 70 million participants, the party eventually ousted the imperial colonisers from India.
8. Congress not only played a important role during freedom struggle. Even after the Independence, the Congress party has ruled over Indian politics. In the 15 general elections since independence, the Congress has won on six occasions and has led the ruling coalition another four times.
9. Apart from this, The Congress party is the oldest ruling party of free India. The party has led the central government for 49 years.
10. How can we forget to mention the prime ministers that Congress had given us.At present, nine Chief Ministers in India are members of the Indian National Congress.
They are Nabam Tuki (Arunachal Pradesh), Tarun Gogoi (Assam), Virbhadra Singh (Himachal Pradesh), Siddaramaiah (Karnataka), Oommen Chandy (Kerala), Okram Ibobi Singh (Manipur),Mukul Sangma (Meghalaya), Pu Lalthanhawla (Mizoram), Harish Rawat (Uttarakhand).
Well, now Rahul Gandhi has taken power and lagacy of congress in his hands. Let’s see what magic he will spell.